Thursday, April 26, 2007

Buying a house with Raviraj-Kothari builders, BE CAREFUL

I am a software engineer to begin with and after putting in eight years of continuous hard work I finally decided it was time to go home and settle down for good. The very first challenge was to look for a House. Then again after a search of over an year , we finally found a house which suited our lifestyle and had the amenities which we we wanted. We saw the property which was a Bull's Eye in Kalyani Nagar and boasted of all modern amenities like a Multi Gym, Swimming Pool, baby pool, Sauna, Tennis court, volley ball court, squash court, french windows etc.etc.etc. We were extremely thrilled to acquire this property since it matched all our requirements of a dream home. The Marketing people were very polite and explained all the appartment details and the amenities provided and how it will be cost effective for us to buy this appartment. Being curious and cautious by nature I scouted few more properties and found a penthouse in an appartment called Leela Garden which did not have these amenities but was bigger in size by about 600sq.ft. If I compared the price, it was same for both appartments because the flat in Leela Garden was quoting a much lesser price per sq. ft. So I tried to bargain a bit with the appartment I liked. But the marketing people though polite would not budge, the argument they were putting is we have state of the art amenities which no other builder provides in Kalyani Nagar. I was convinced the Marketing people had a point, if I bought a flat in Leela Garden I would have to take the membership of some other club and would certainly end up paying much more in the long run. So I finalised this property and decided to buy this. The next challenge was to decode the legal agreement which I was expected to sign to acquire the property. I again approached the marketing people and asked them the formalities to be done. I was informed that on a said date I would be required to be present at the registrar office to sign the agreement. Naturally I asked the marketing people to show me the document I was expected to sign. The answer was they did not have spare a copy ready and should come back later to get the same. I came back later and the spare copy was not there. Then I came back even later still the copy was not there. Finally at a later date close to the agreement signing date the a copy of the agreement was finally available. I checked the agreement and studied it to my satisfaction and did not find anything amiss i.e. whatever was promised in the brochure was being provided at no additional cost. The polite marketing people asked me to return the copy of the agreement since they were short of these copies. However again being a careful person I insisted that I would like to read the actual document before signing. The D-Day came and I was happy I would finally be acquiring the property of my choice. But to my utter disappointment I got a call from the Marketing people saying that my appointment was cancelled at the Registrar office due to unavoidable reasons. Ok I said and hung up. Since there was nothing else to do I went to my sister's place in Pune which is quite far from Pune city. I was enjoying my time at my sister's when I got a call from the Marketing people. A polite and well groomed voice informed me that my appointment was ON and I had to be present at the Registrar's office by 4:30PM. I resisted and said I won't be able to make it on such a short notice, on which the polite voice on the other end consoled me and assured me that the formality is only take a few minutes and I woul actually get time to read the documents. So though reluctantly I agreed and said I would be there. However I realised later that I had done a big BiG BIG mistake by falling prey to the smooth, polite and re-assuring voice. I arrived at the Registrar office 30 minutes late thanks to the traffic conditions in Pune. I was greeted rather confronted by a rather shabby man whom I had seen at the builder's office. Whatever happenned next I could not have been prepared even in my dreams, even if it happenned a second time. The shabby man started shouting at me for not keeping the appointment, I tried to explain my situation but he would have none of it. He almost dragged me to the registrar office and made me stand in a corner. Then some lady came and quickly took my photographs and mumbled "Time pe aane ko kya hota hai". Then I was again dragged to a desk where a fuming clerk was sitting and shouting at all the agents who were coming for registration work. The shabby man now took charge and asked me to sign the documents. I said I would like to take some time to read and then I would sign. All hell broke loose the shabby man started shouting again "kaiko natak kar rahe ho ek to itna late aaye aur abhi tereko document padhna hai" and blah!! blah!! blah!!, the clerk took his turn now "started shouting
at the shabby man "Tauseef kai ko aise customers ko leke aata hai ja abhi office band ho raha hai kaal aa abhi". The shabby man softened a little and explained to me a little politely that the next appointment would be 2 weeks from now and that I had already read the document and the office was closing etc. etc. I finally succumbed to all this pressure and finally SIGNED without reading. When the formality was completed I rose to leave the office and the shabby man accompanied me, when I reached my vehicle the shabby man congratulated me on the new property and gave me a grin which was of man who had accomplished something and I thought only I had accomplished something.
I left the office and reached home and started reading the document, The begining was same as the document that I had read earlier but as I proceeded a siking feeling replaced the joy. Caluse after clause after clause was in the favour of the builder. THIS DOCUMENT WAS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT I HAD READ EARLIER.
  • The club house was not free
  • The swimming pool had an enrance fee.
  • The builder could construct anything anywhere and I should not have any objection.
So on and so forth. I had been very systematically duped and cheated. Welcome to FORTALEZA - A slice of Paradise. A Raviraj-Kothatri enterprise.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the experience. Though not a pleasant one I think it will help people to make right decisions in buying house in Pune.

Sabu said...

Hi ,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you please tell me if all the issues at Fortaleza has settled or not ?

Commoner said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience, i'm sure it will help others.

http://punerealty.blogspot.com

Pradeep Rathi said...

We had received a copy of the total agreement, with lot of objectionable clause. We spoke to almost the entire management there and their legal adviser (There legal advisor will charge a hefty fees to you too, if you have query about their agreement), and they all tried to convince us that they won't cheat us... and we MUST trust them.

But when we came down from our 30 odd modifications to 3, and said these are must, we were indirectly told that this is not possible. Whether to buy a flat or not is upto you.

Ravi told me that it is so with all buiders... But you are fortunate that he has atleast told you clearly everything, and based on his experience this fellow is trustable..

THERE IS A STRONG NEED FOR MORE LEGAL FRAMEWORK TO STOP THIS.I later understood that builders have agreements with their lawyers that if they fall in any legal issues, the lawyer will pay for all damages. It's a sort of Legal Insurance.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing you experince...this will really be helpful in being very careful while buying my DREAM HOME

Sonia Sharma said...

Thanks for spreading awareness. We will stay away from Raviraj-Kothari builders.

Ozone villas- wagholi a place said...

a guys..... who is all this funny person.... boss show me any builder and clauses in agreements in favour of clients...... this is my challange to all

Anonymous said...

Nice post:- kothari group offer many sweet homes, apartments, luxury villas.